Professional Security firms are often members of peak industry associations, are adequately insured, train their employees well, use only appropriately licensed personnel, provide wages and conditions in accordance with the lawful industrial instrument and have good reputations. To help assess the credentials of a security provider, some of the key criteria to consider include:
- Adequate / current insurance cover – view documents and ensure that they are current and provide coverage suitable to your requirements.
- A good reputation – investigate the firm’s reputation to ensure that they have maintained good relationships with customers, are trustworthy and dependable.
- References – requestand check references to obtained a valuable insight as to the reliability and performance of the security firm. Using online business search tools to check trading history can be very helpful.
- Training – review the security companies training regime and request supporting documentation to support their assertions.
- Equipment – ensure equipment to be provided by the security firm is fit for the purpose and meets all work health and safety requirements.
- Rates – understanding financial arrangements with the security company regarding the planned invoicing cycle, rise and fall of cost management, cost drivers, rate reviews, additional charges and award/agreement impact.
- Written Contract – defining the rights and responsibilities between client and security firm should be detailed and written, including dispute resolution processes, contract review, extensions and termination.
- Management – experienced management personnel with specialist expertise in the security industry will ensure effective delivery and well-trained and supervised staff.
- Crowd Controllers / Security Officers – you should request evidence that only appropriate licensed and trained personnel work on site, always ask for copies of Security License, First Aid Certificate, Security Operations Certificate, RSA Certificate and any other relevant certifications to meet your requirements.